Monday, March 31, 2014

Bookland Review: Percy Jackson and the Olympians

G'day!
(Or evening, depending on where you are.)

Time for a new review! As the title suggests, Percy Jackson and the Olympians!

Alright, I'm going to be honest with you: I only got interested in this because I saw a trailer for the second movie and thought Logan Lerman was kinda cute.
There. I said it.

But this series actually turned out to be great!
So, the story is about young Percy Jackson, a slightly troubled boy with ADHD and dyslexia, who's been kicked out of every school he's ever gone to. That is, until he hits sixth grade and finds out that he's the son of one of the Olympian god from ancient Greece.

Now, don't get me wrong, the whole ancient gods thing is totally wrong. It's the reason I didn't like the idea before. But, you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. This series is great! I didn't mind after reading the first book. Percy's first person narration is hilarious and totally what I would be thinking!
Annabeth and Grover (his best friends) are great characters too. I was surprised to find a little surprise villain in there. (hint: you'll never guess who it is!)
I was glad for Percy's added maturity as the series went on. His and Annabeth's friendship was fun to read and the monster fighting is totally awesome!

The Cons: As I said, the entire series is centered on the fact that, in their world, the Greek gods are still around, and still have demigod children. That's completely wrong.
Another thing is, the characters use Ancient Greek as a substitute for modern swearwords. Not that often, but still. I have no idea what any of them  mean, but I still don't say them.

Other than that, this was great, and I recommend it to ages 11 and up!

Ta ta for now!

Loganna.

No comments:

Post a Comment